View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Moped laws for each state 
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 125 (Blue/Black): dual headlight mod with 35/35w bulbs, C3 mirrors, Yamaha Vino wire basket on rear rack
Post Re: Moped laws for each state
Nick Batzdorf wrote:
In CA the Zuma is a motorcycle, not a moped.

As discussed before at great length. You need a motorcycle license and liability insurance, and rightly so.

Actually, you are correct for the Zuma 125. Anything below 50cc (e.g. 49cc) does not require a motorcycle license in CA.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
sdwindansea wrote:
Nick Batzdorf wrote:
In CA the Zuma is a motorcycle, not a moped.

As discussed before at great length. You need a motorcycle license and liability insurance, and rightly so.

Actually, you are correct for the Zuma 125. Anything below 50cc (e.g. 49cc) does not require a motorcycle license in CA.

it isnt just bellow 50cc if it makes more then so much hp then it must be registered as a motorcycle and irc the zuma is on the bubble for ca hp wise

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:40 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
sdwindsea, I'm correct for both Zumas. Please see pages 2 and 3 of the 2010 California Motorcycle Handbook.

You need an M1 license to ride a motor-driven cycle, which is a motorcycle 149cc or less. The only legal difference between it and a motorcycle is that you can't ride it on the freeway when signs prohibiting it are posted.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Last edited by Nick Batzdorf on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:24 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
I wish we could make this a sticky, because I've posted the same link and said the same thing several times on this forum.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:25 pm
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Nick Batzdorf wrote:
I wish we could make this a sticky, because I've posted the same link and said the same thing several times on this forum.

^^^^ +1

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:47 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 125 (Blue/Black): dual headlight mod with 35/35w bulbs, C3 mirrors, Yamaha Vino wire basket on rear rack
Thanks for the link Nick. I'm a bit confused now. According to the link, a Motorized Scooter does not require a motorcylce license (see page 3).

Quote:
A motorized scooter is defined as any two-wheeled “device” with: A motor, handlebars, and a floorboard for standing on when riding, and The options of having:– a driver seat which cannot interfere with the operator’s ability to stand and ride.– the ability to be powered by human propulsion. NOTE: A motorized scooter may be driven with any class driver license. A motorized scooter may not be used to take a Class M1 or M2 skills test.The motorized scooter’s exhaust system.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Right, but look at the definition of a motorized scooter. It has a floorboard for standing on, i.e. it's a big Razor with an engine (with or without a seat).

This kind of thing:

http://uisacad.uis.edu/~jblac2/punkMike.jpg

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks again Nick, you are absolutely correct. I just saw "motorized scooter", started reading the definition and assumed it was what I was thinking to be a scooter. Completely my fault for not paying more attention to it. I apologize for wasting your time.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:34 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

No problem at all - I have the link bookmarked.

It's just that this comes up all the time. You have to wonder whether dealers are telling people the wrong thing just to sell bikes.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:35 pm
Newb
Newb

goped to be precise.outa highschool i started to ride gopeds cause the "fall"under the moped rule.a push scooter with a helper motor.

i came across a steal of a deal on a 2000 zuma and converted it to a goped.
if you notice in the scooter laws there is no restriction on engine size or tire size.

i took the plastics off the zuma kept front and rear lights just for night time safety,changed the fork angle to a more vertical position for easier stand up riding,removed the battery and oil injector to make the back look open.and im in the process of making a custom gastank to mount on the neck so everything is off the back and ima make a custom stand only platform.

it sure works for me with the local law enforcement.get pulled over but i keep the printed scooter laws with me,simply show them and im off on my merry day :D

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:25 pm
Scooterologist

for florida:

Quote:
If riding at less than the normal speed of traffic, you must ride as close to the right edge of the roadway or curb as possible except when making a left turn or the conditions do not allow you to do so; you are not allowed to use a bike or pedestrian lane. Otherwise you are bound to the same “rules of the road” as cars or full-size motorcycles.

it says that's "not found on the website" but if you go digging through FL law itself you'll find mention of it. Personally i quit riding to the right of the lane because people would take that as an invitation to nearly take off my left elbow or mirror as they slid by me (some as close as just a few inches away from me).

So i switched to an "own the lane" position where i ride in the center of the lane or just a hair left of center and people actually change lane to pass me (this is on the 4 lane 'highway' US 41 between nokomis and sarasota, which actually goes alot farther both ways).

I've not had any problems from the local police or sheriff about riding in the middle of the lane or a hair left, even on the 55mph stretches between the two cities. (this is from bradenton FL to nokomis FL.. other parts of the state they may give static about it). I don't know if the local police here just don't feel like pulling a scooter over for not being in the 'right' part of the lane, or if they've come to realize it isn't safe to ride on the very right side of the lane... I just know, personally, i've never been given any static about it and it's alot safer to "own the lane"

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!

Sat May 12, 2012 10:00 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: Japan Jog,Blk Trophy,14mm Tk carb 48/110,Polini crank,polini bearings,oem crank seals. 8.4 gear, Silko pro kr2
Hawaii islands speed limit is 35, 49cc under 2 hp.
No insurance, plate and tags. Under 18 must wear helmet.
it has a moped sticker lifetime tag ( size of credit card).

Those are listed i wrote , need type 2 license and insurance (scooter/motorcycle) see below.
You can go freeway honda grom 125, metropolitan 1, ruckus, Honda elite sr50, yamaha jog, zuma 50, zuma 125,, gy6 150 . there is no limit motor cc. more than 5hp can go freeway.

1996 Japan Jog, TP Blk Trophy, NGK br8hs, 14mm yamaha teikei 14mm OEM carb 48/110, c clip on the buttom needle, Stock air box removed snorkel, boyesen reeds,Polini crank 10mm,polini evo bearings,oem crank seals. 8.4 gear, 3 shoes clutch KRS, 1k japan daytona red center spring, polini exhaust. 32:1 Silkolene Pro KR2 ( full synthetic/castor)

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:58 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2001 Prebug: TP Trophy 70cc, Leo Vince ZX-R De-Restricted, Dellorto 17.5 PHVA converted to manual choke-90MJ-45pilot, At
PA is incorrect also. We have a helmet law. If you have not had your MC endorsement for two years, you are required to wear a helmet.

If you do not have the MC, you need a helmet.

2001 Prebug, TP Trophy 70cc, Leo Vince ZX-R De-restricted, Dellorto PHVA 17.5 converted to manual choke- 88 MJ, 45 Pilot, OEM Airbox, Athena Variator, Doppler 15/50 Upgears, Erlandson Kevlar Belt, Motoforce 107mm Clutch & OEM Bell, Malossi White Contra Spring, Malossi Torque Controller, Leo Vince "stiff" clutch springs, Custom Vented CVT, F1 CF Mirrors, CF Fan Cover, CF Airbox Cover, BWS Tail Light, Trimmed Rear Rack, STR8 Front Turn Signals, 5v USB Power Supply, Custom Donut Graphics by jdubbya, Cool Azz Underglow

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2