View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I did a bad bad thing while changing the gear oil... 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2005 Bone Stock, with one mirror and a taped up turn signal. Not registered or tagged.
Post I did a bad bad thing while changing the gear oil...
The other day I was outside washing my 05 zuma (4850 miles) and I decided that since it was nice outside and I had some free time, I would go ahead and change the gear oil too. So I took the "bolt" out and proceeded to drain the oil. After all of the oil was drained I put the bolt back in and filled it up with fresh gear oil (on sale at Wal-Mart, plus 10% discount since my mom works there lol) and then I proceeded to tighten the bolt as some gear oil leaked out. My gf was outside talking to me while I was tightening it and I wasn't paying too much attention to the tightening. She asked me some question and right before I was going to answer, I heard a "pop" I hesitated to look down...but I did, and I found the head of the bolt in my socket wrench. Now I have a minor oil leak and I cant get the bolt out. I might have to take it to the dealer :(. What do yall think I should do? :(

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:06 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 1998 Zuma (Stock) 2002 Zuma (Stock)
Post Re: I did a bad bad thing while changing the gear oil...
oh man... :wth:

i'd say it can be resolved with help of an expert such as the dealer... :(

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Scooter Addict

You might try to drill a hole (center punch first for a guide) for an Easy Out, I have a set of them that I bought from Sears that you tap into the drilled hole & take out the broken bolt....
May be a little awkward to get to though....
When I am tightning I always grab my 3/8" rachet at half handle so I don't apply to much torque....
Keep us posted...
Bob

http://lubedealer.com/gulfcoast

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:30 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma, Duplicolor Deep Jewel Green, dual headlight mod, brake light led scanner.
Do you have a dremmel or small rotary tool? You could try grinding (carefully) a slot for a flathead screwdriver into the bolt.

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

jdubbya wrote:
Do you have a dremmel or small rotary tool? You could try grinding (carefully) a slot for a flathead screwdriver into the bolt.

yeah that's a good tip!!! i have seen that done before... hopefully it's not real tight, get a large flathead so u can get some torque on it! :whip:

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:08 am
Profile WWW
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma, Duplicolor Deep Jewel Green, dual headlight mod, brake light led scanner.
I dont know how the head snapped off, its threading into aluminum, isn't it?

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

jdubbya wrote:
I dont know how the head snapped off, its threading into aluminum, isn't it?

yeah, but it's prolly not a heavy bolt, and it prolly wouldn't take a lot of torque to do it... :doh:

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 03 Vino 70cc Ariasal T6, 19mm Arreche etc... 08 Ruckus Stock
I recommend the easy-out method. That always works well for me at work and we work with bolts that require a lot more torque than the gear oil bolt.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2005 Bone Stock, with one mirror and a taped up turn signal. Not registered or tagged.
I will probably use the easy-out method, although I do like the idea of using a dremmel. I will post back once I make a regretful trip to sears. Thanks for the help everyone!

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:46 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Go and buy a very small chisel, and lightly tap into whats left of the plug. Then angle the chisel as if you where going to "drive" it CCW. If the head came off, then there should not be much holding in the threaded portion.

Drilling works well, as do all the other idea's.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:48 pm
Newb
Newb

Make sure to use a reverse drill as the back side of the whole is open to the gear box, with a standard drill there is a high possibility of running the remainder of the bolt into the gear box (that would be worse). I do this all the time and start with a sharp screw driver or chisle and try to tap it out in a CCW rotation, then if that doesnt work as stated above the dremel is the second step for me on a bolt thats not bottemed out or crosstherded then if there is to much resistance on the bolt I tap and eas it out but for sure use a reverse drill bit here.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:03 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

ttrcycles wrote:
Make sure to use a reverse drill as the back side of the whole is open to the gear box, with a standard drill there is a high possibility of running the remainder of the bolt into the gear box (that would be worse). I do this all the time and start with a sharp screw driver or chisle and try to tap it out in a CCW rotation, then if that doesnt work as stated above the dremel is the second step for me on a bolt thats not bottemed out or crosstherded then if there is to much resistance on the bolt I tap and eas it out but for sure use a reverse drill bit here.

Isn't this pretty much a repeat of what was said by two other people? :confused:

Im not sure how it is on the Zuma but on the vino's gear box if you were to "accidentally" drive the screw all the way into the box the only thing bad that would happen is the screw would go up into the box, but miss the gears, and oil would run out. Of course you'd have to open the box but nothing detrimental would happen.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Either your GF had just told you she cheated on you or you gotta lay off the steroids. LOL

Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:29 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Zumlander wrote:
Either your GF had just told you she cheated on you or you gotta lay off the steroids. LOL

YEAH, what the hell were you using a breaker bar? I put mine on with an impact wrench and it didn't break.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

Señor Don Gato wrote:
ttrcycles wrote:

Isn't this pretty much a repeat of what was said by two other people? :confused:

Im not sure how it is on the Zuma but on the vino's gear box if you were to "accidentally" drive the screw all the way into the box the only thing bad that would happen is the screw would go up into the box, but miss the gears, and oil would run out. Of course you'd have to open the box but nothing detrimental would happen.

No, If you note I gave propes to the upper posters but my main point is to use a reverse drill. The oil wherling around in the gear box can pick up a small bolt then your gear box is toast.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next