View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 LEDGlow Million Color Mini Kit Install 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post LEDGlow Million Color Mini Kit Install
I'd been wanting to do this for awhile, both for safety and aesthetic reasons, so I purchased this kit with 8 LED strips. I had seen some reviews from people who bought a 6 piece kit who wished they had gotten a few more strips, so I went one kit size up to 8. I bought the kit from Amazon, but LEDGlow was the seller.

The kit purchased comes with eight 4-inch SMD LED strips, a control box, wireless remote, and all the wiring needed to put the kit together. See photos below.
-Here are the LED strips. They're flexible, so you can place them nearly anywhere you want to. They can also be cut to whatever length you desire, but since they're only four inches long, I saw no need to cut mine. I didn't think to measure how long the wiring is for each of the strips, but I'd be willing to bet that it's in the neighborhood of 24 inches for each strip (I'll measure it soon and report back).
-The control box. Probably 3 inches in length, an inch tall, and half or three quarters of an inch deep (again, spitballing measurements since I didn't think to measure it when I did this yesterday). The red positive wire has the fuse already installed out of the box; black is ground, and the white wire is the remote's antenna.
-Wiring harnesses. The top one has 6 connectors, and the bottom one has 3 and connects to one of the 6 connectors on the other harness. Helps when you've got several strips, and the second harness helps extend the kit's reach. The connectors are super easy to join together, and even easier to disconnect, so it's not too much trouble to undo your connections if you change your mind about how you set it up.
-The remote. Four buttons, labeled A, B, C, D, and they control different functions and features. The black piece actually slides up to cover the buttons so that you don't inadvertently push any of the buttons when carrying it/storing it somewhere.
-Zip ties and adhesive strip, which goes on the control box:

Now, to the actual install. Connecting the control box wires to the battery is simple; just need to crimp some sort of connectors to the ends of the wires and screw them in. I used these ring connectors that I got in a kit at an auto parts store (I believe they were rated for use with 16-22 gauge wire):

NOTE: I found that when I had attempted to install the power wire for my Trail Tech Vapor to the positive battery terminal, the screw holding the harness to the battery was too short to connect both the connector attached to the Trail Tech and the wiring harness; the screw couldn't reach the nut and hold everything secure. I went ahead and bought slightly longer screws (they were M5x0.8s for my battery). The new screws are 16mm, and here's how they compare to the old ones:
With the new screws in place everything fits perfectly.

You need to find a good place to mount the control box, and make sure that it's protected from the elements. I put mine on outside of the battery box, facing the cylinder as seen here (photo taken from above the cylinder):

Once you've got the control box in place, you'll want to figure out where you want to place your light strips and run the wires accordingly. Obviously, make sure to prevent putting the wires in a place where they'll get cut or come into contact with heat or moving parts. I've put two strips under the front fender, two under the bottom of the lower cover, and two above the rear wheel.

Here's the finished look:
This is what it looks like using 6 strips, meaning I've got two left I can install somewhere. I'm actually pretty happy with just the 6 for right now, and don't feel like it needs anymore light.

I haven't had a chance to do any road testing yet, but I'm really impressed with how it looks and how simple it was to install everything. I'm not an electrician, so if you do the work on your own scooter, you can install this no problem.

Hopefully this will help someone looking for ideas if they're considering doing something similar. The kit wasn't expensive and it feels high-quality!

Stage6 19mm PHBG (38pj/84mj/W7 1 lean)
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stock airbox, UNI filter, snorkel removed
Stage6 HPC 10mm crank
Stage6 Pro Replica, derestricted
Malossi MHR Overrange (24.3g)
Malossi 107mm Delta Clutch (yellow Malossi springs)
Malossi 107mm MHR Wing Bell
Malossi Yellow Contra Spring
Malossi Torsion Controller
Top Performance Reed Block and CF Reeds
RFY Shock
Stage 6 F1 Mirrors
Stage 6 14/42s
NGK BR9HS
Michelin Boppers
Trail Tech Vapor
LEDGlow Underglow Kit

Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:41 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
Post Re: LEDGlow Million Color Mini Kit Install
if you know how to solder you can buy a 15 foot roll of the same type of lights and comes with a remote and control box around $25 or so

cut the lengths you want and solder the wires on, very time consuming but you can get a ton of light that way for little money, just alot of time

whats nice with the multi color types is you can go to white light if you have to work on your bike at night

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Silver Member
Silver Member

ZUMIKE wrote:
if you know how to solder you can buy a 15 foot roll of the same type of lights and comes with a remote and control box around $25 or so

cut the lengths you want and solder the wires on, very time consuming but you can get a ton of light that way for little money, just alot of time

whats nice with the multi color types is you can go to white light if you have to work on your bike at night

I considered that but a lot of the kits I found on ebay had power adapters that you'd plug into a household outlet running to the control box, and I didn't want to take on a headache in figuring out a workaround. Also, one of the kits I found seemed like it was a great deal and pretty high quality, until I read a few reports of the wiring catching on fire :confused:

Stage6 HPC 10mm crank
RFY Shock
Stage 6 F1 Mirrors
Stage 6 14/42s
NGK BR9HS
Michelin Boppers
Trail Tech Vapor
LEDGlow Underglow Kit

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:13 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
this is what I like to use 5050 smd led, waterproof and alot of led's per inch
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-SMD-RGB-5050-Waterproof-LED-Strip-light-300-44-Key-Remote-12V-Supply-Power-/381206097914?hash=item58c1a76ffa

there are other types of led but some are spread out so you dont get as many per inch
and some of the color changing type are separate led modules so red, green, blue
I like the type that does it in one led, so its much brighter

if the box did use 120v it most likely had a transformer that converted to 12v
every roll I ever bought, if it came with a box to change colors also came with a transformer and a pig tail to go directly to 12v too

the single color rolls I use just connect right to 12v dc

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Finally got around to measuring one of the LED strips and cord, and it's 40 inches from where the wires meet the connector to the far end of the LED strip. So almost 4 feet per strand.

Stage6 HPC 10mm crank
RFY Shock
Stage 6 F1 Mirrors
Stage 6 14/42s
NGK BR9HS
Michelin Boppers
Trail Tech Vapor
LEDGlow Underglow Kit

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:17 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]