View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2002 Vino Low Top Speed 
Newb
Newb

Post 2002 Vino Low Top Speed
Good afternoon! i'm new here, and even though this is a Zuma forum, I've seen some Vino questions answered. I recently acquired a 2002 Vino with 348 miles on it. Did the standard carb cleaning/rebuild, new spark plug, new air filter and air box seal, and cleaned the gas tanks, hoses, and filters, along with fresh gas. when I finally got it running, I cant get to 30mph. Acceleration is smooth, and no excessive smoke or other issues with the engine. I'm going to pull the plug and check the color, but it doesnt seem to be running rich. monday, I'll be pulling off the transmission drive cover for a thorough inspection, and I'll be changing the final drive oil. Obviously, something is wrong with the scooter. I've read about the derestrictions, but will the restrictions make the scoot run that slow? Can an old belt cause that much of a problem? Im going to inspect the clutch and rollers too. I currently have a gasser Yamaha golf cart that I rebuilt/modified, so I'm somewhat familiar with the belt drive and its components. Also yesterday the stater started to act up. It will spin, but not engage the gears. It was making a growling noise prior to that, but would engage the starter gear.

I'm looking for any advice, input, or suggestions on how to get the scooter to its advertised top speed, or closer than where it is now. I know upgrades will help, but I believe that something is happening to keep the scooter from reaching its stock potential. Thanks!

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:41 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos 2004 Zuma
Post Re: 2002 Vino Low Top Speed
Welcome to the forums
A desrestrited Vino is way better .
I have 2 2004 vino's that do 38-40 mph after being derestricted .
The 2 main restrictions are the exhaust has a cone welded into the exhaust pipe on the end that bolts to the cylinder.
You will need a dremel to grind out the welds ,The restricted pipes hole is just a little bigger than a number 2 pencil when you take out the cone the opening will be the diameter of a quarter .
This will really increase the flow out of the engine and will increase your acceleration noticeably and will add 5 mph or so to your top end .
You should order a new squish exhaust gasket or use permatex ultra copper and reuse the old one .
This is to prevent Air leaks Air leaks on your exhaust will cause you to run lean .
I had to up jet both my vino's carbs and raise the needle one notch I used a 75 mikuni 11/22 jet 70 was too lean 72.5 and 75 were perfect.
You maybe able to order these from your local dealer .
I ordered mine from jetsrus I ordered all jets from 67.5 to 77.5
The next mod or restriction is easier to fix .
In between the variator halves there is a wedding band that you should remove .
Only remove the wedding band the washer that is in there should remain.
We call it a wedding band because it is about that wide .
This adds another 3-4 miles per hour to top end because the Belt can ride up higher up the variator.
If you need more help just ask .
I am up grading my exhausts on the vino's as we speak to malossi wild lion exhausts to further increase performance .

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe malossi multivar 6.5 sliders green polini clutch springs stock carb 75 mikuni main one clip rich 47.5 mph Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 84 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich (sold)

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:25 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Here is the link to the service manula for vino
http://www.zumaforums.net/servicemanual ... nual-1.pdf
On section 5 page 16
The wedding band is listed on picture as number 10 they refer to it as a spacer.

Do you know how to do plug chops and check for exhaust leaks Both of these are critical to do when upgrading/derestricting exhaust.

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe malossi multivar 6.5 sliders green polini clutch springs stock carb 75 mikuni main one clip rich 47.5 mph Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 84 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich (sold)

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:40 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

This website has a tutorial with pictures on how to derestrict the transmission and exhaust.
https://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/Tut ... rial7.aspx
Transmission derestrict
https://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/Tut ... rial6.aspx
exhaust derestrict

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:02 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks for the tips Vino!! I have a couple of questions...

When you talk about moving the jet needle a notch, Im assuming you mean the e clip that's in the grooves on the needle? Does that get moved towards the sharp end or towards the blunt end? I'm not completely sure how that needle works...
Also, when you mentioned changing the jets, are you talking about the main jet? that's the only one I remember having a number on it, otherwise I have to open the carburetor again and look.

I changed the transmission fluid today, but that didn't seem to help any.

I don't know how to do a plug chops, or any certain way to check for exhaust leaks. I ran the engine today, and tried to listen for what might be an exhaust leak. I inspected the flange area of the exhaust pipe where it mounts to the cylinder. but I didn't see any discoloration or other obvious signs of an exhaust leak.

Is there a way for me to check that as well?

I'm going to do the exhaust derestriction when I get a new gasket. I don't have much luck with used gaskets and sealant...

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:34 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Glad to help
Checking for exhaust leak is easy
With the scooter running take a gloved hand with a rag and plug the exhaust pipe if the scoot shuts off immediately No leaks
If it keeps running you have leaks

Tuning carburetor
Raising the needle by moving the e clip down 1 notch closer to pointy end richens the mixture
Just this may be only the carb mod you may need.
Upjetting would be changing the main jet to a larger size.
A lean main jet will sound zingy and a rich main will sound lower .

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=5124
Is a thread about a proper plug chop.

It is really simple actually
warm up the scoot with a old plug
Put a new plug in and run wide open for about 1-2 miles hit the killswitch while holding throttle at wide open position .
Put the old plug in ride home .
Hacksaw the plug and look for a No.2 pencil lead size smoke line at the bottom of the plug is perfect.
No line real bad
Small line a little lean
Larger than a pencil lead line a little rich.

After you have the right main jet .
Then repeat process at half throttle to dial in needle .
Hit the killswitch and hold throttle at the half throttle position.

The idle jet on the stock carb can be done by rpm sound /tachometer or through the same plug chop method .

A box of plugs is way cheaper than a new cylinder.

When doing plug chops you want to start with too big of main jet and work your way down.

Here are my notes from my actual vino chops for the main.
I put in a 80 mikuni 11/22 way to rich I could tell without the plug chop that it was too big because the the bike bogged down and got slower .
75 way better close to right on
70 smoke line was close but a little on thin side
The stock 64 tk jet and 70 mikuni were real close to the same smoke line .
I bought a 72 and it looks perfect.

The needle I was able to dial with one plug chop.
Ran down the road about a 1/2 mile 1/2 throttle clip in middle position reving between 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and listened to sound and throtttle response . It sounded zingy.
Moved the clip down 1 notch richer .
With a warm engine ran down the road just over a mile Killswitch/old plug/Drove home/Hacksaw/ Perfect smoke line .

Once you do this a few times you will be able just hear and feel whats right.
I still chop to make sure .
I just use a lighted magnifying glass instead of a hack saw now that i know what to look for .

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:22 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks again for the explanation!! I did what I know as the WOT plug pull, where after warming up the motor you make a full throttle run and kill the motor. The general plug color looked good, but I had no idea about the color higher up on the electrode. I'll have to get some plugs...

I didn't even think to plug up the exhaust tip to test for a leak, even though I've done it on accident before.

I'm on shift at the F.D. today and tomorrow, so I'm hoping when i get off Monday morning I'll have enough energy left to start testing things. I'm also going to pull the final drive case off and inspect the belt, pulleys, and rollers.

It feels as if something is holding the scooter back still. I rode a little yesterday, and the RPM'S sound high enough that the scooter should be going faster.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

When you open up the transmission
Take the wedding band out and your top end will increase You will not need to upjet for that .
When you get the plugs you can fix the pipe.
Depending on your bike ,elavation average tempature range you may not have to upjet as much as me Just adjusting needle might be your ticket .
In Wisconsin I am riding from 35 Degrees to 100 degrees I tuned late part of year So i am running jets that are richer .

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:39 pm
Newb
Newb

So to update what I found today...

I opened up the transmission to take out the wedding band. There was a tremendous amount of shredded/shaved belt material in the transmission case.

I measured the belt, and it was less than .5 inches wide. With only 148 miles on the scoot, I was concerned as to the issue with the belt wear.

Come to find out that the bearing for the transmission shat where the clutch mounts had a lot of slop in it. I also noticed that there was buildup of melted belt material on both the primary and secondary pulleys.

The starter clutch was so jammed up with material that the spline teeth on the clutch are stripped. Also the spline teeth on the cam by the rollers had stripped teeth.

I cleaned up both pulley sets, removed the bad bearing in the transmission, and removed all of the other damaged parts.

New parts and a belt are on the way as we speak. obviously, I'll be leaving the wedding band off when I put everything back together.

All I can assume is that all of the failed parts, thin belt, and buildup of shredded material was robbing the scooter of some power.

I did order another exhaust gasket while I was building this order so I can derestrict the exhaust. I also went to the auto parts store yesterday while I was on duty and got a few more spark plugs for the plug chop.

I live in South Florida, so our weather is primarily hot and humid. I had to rejet my golf cart when I changed to a derestricted exhaust, so I'm assuming I'll have to do the same. It's cool out now, for down here, so if I get the scooter back together in the next few days with the exhaust trick, it may run a little lean. All of my smaller carbureted engines are a bit leaner right now.

Give me a few days, and I'll let you know what progress we made...

Thanks again!!

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:47 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Is the belt oem or some cheap aftermarket .
I have 4000 on my oem belts and they are still above specs .
Some scoots on here have 8k on stock belts .
When i pulled the wedding band I made zero other adjustments no shimming ,rollers or springs .

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:02 am
Newb
Newb

the belt is OEM. I think the issues came from the deposits on the pulleys, and the loose/bad bearing. Between these two, I'm guessing that's where the abnormally quick belt wear came from.

I was wrong in one of my previous posts...the scooter has 348 miles on it. The belt still shouldn't have degraded as quickly as it did. I'm not sure if it's the original belt. I was thinking due to age, the material may have dried out or hardened, contributing to the wear issues.

Waiting for an update on my parts orders so I can figure out when I can get the scooter fixed, and hopefully get some performance improvements.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:42 pm
Newb
Newb

Alright, I have an update. I finally got all of the parts in, and got the scooter back together. I put a new bearing in where the transmission shaft is (forgot the name of the shaft. It's the one that the secondary pulley and clutch mount on). I noticed some wobble or play in the shaft like the bearing was bad, but I just put a new OEM bearing in. Is there supposed to be play/wobble in this shaft? I took the gear box back apart, and measured the shaft diameter with a micrometer. I unfortunately don't know what the correct diameter should be. It's hard for me to believe that something that turns the RPM's that the shaft does would be built to have a sloppy fit in the bearing. I also have trouble believing that Yamaha would build something with a loose tolerance. I'm getting some pretty concerning vibration from the scooter while accelerating.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:32 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

I remember no slop on my clutch shaft on either of my vino's .
I have my zuma apart right now and there is no slop in that ,It is not the exact same transmission but it is close .
I will get a measure this weekend if i have time

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks for the reply! I was even thinking of taking the clutch off of my 2006 vino and putting it on the 02 to see if the vibration was coming from the clutch or secondary pulley. My gut feeling keeps leading me back to the wobble/slop/excess play in the shaft. If you get a chance to measure the diameter of the shaft, that would help tremendously. Thanks again...

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:14 pm
Newb
Newb

Halting the hackers and online dating service meets job searching

with VentureBesupport, We locate lot of funding news every day. In order to bring you the most information and facts possible, We rounding up the quick and dirty specifics of the funding deals of the day and serving them up here in our daily column.

Shape collateral $5.6M as to $5.58M about SEC

to be able to an SEC form D, Shape precaution has raised $5.6 million from an overall $5.8 million circular. spain girls continue to be in stealth mode, The company is trying stopping hacking permanently.

DataPop $7M start up funds

Targeted advertisement company DataPop garnered $7 million in funding from MK Capital, Rincon Venture partners, IA businesses, Momentum journeys, And accelerator Ventures. The company claims to use science and natural language generation to create targeted ads that people may click on. the business works as a matchmaking service, Not for eaters, But job. HR corporate Adecco led the round.

BDC issued $6 million in sports car notes FounderFuel graduates

The investment capital arm of the Business Development Bank of Canada announced today it is pledging $6 million in convertible notes to the graduates of Canadian incubator FounderFuel. Forty startups is certain to get $150,000 when they well complete the FounderFuel program. FounderFuel and the BDC will pick which startups are and those that are will receive the convertible notes at FounderFuel Demo Day in May.

$2M would flow to Jelastic

Almaz Venture Partners and experience Ventures have invested $2 million Jelastic, A company that hosts Java employment applications in the cloud. the corporation competes with Google App Engine, Heroku, And Windows red.

DoubleDutch grabs $2M

Mobile app builder DoubleDutch launched a $2 million funding round late Tuesday. The company builds geo social mobile apps for companies, among them VentureBeat. Bullpen, Floodgate, Aaron Patzer of peppermint, Jawed Karim akin to YouTube, And other private investors enjoyed.

Chirpify gets cash for turning tweets into sales

Chirpify has backed up $1.3 million from social media operatives and angels in its first formal round of funding. Chirpify is a payment system that integrates with PayPal to allow persons and businesses to transact on Twitter. Voyager budget, Angel rehabber Geoff Entress, BuddyTV top dog Andy Liu, Former Facebook exec Rudy Gadre, HootSuite CEO thomas Holmes, And TiE Oregon Angels all took part in the round.

citrus Lane receives$5.1M for mommycare mailings

Care package companies for new moms and their babies, Citrus Lane chose $5.1 million in advance. the corporation hand picks baby items and recommends them to new moms based on their baby needs. GGV Capital and Greylock people led the round.

Terascala improves $14M

Boston based cloud data storage companyTerascalahas raised $14 million in second round funding for its parallel storage home equipment. Ascent Venture Partners and undisclosed investors completed a purchase, Which is combine of $10.6 million in money and $3.4 million present in escrow.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next