View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Athena "80cc engine" on a 2001 zuma 
Scooterologist

Post Athena "80cc engine" on a 2001 zuma
I'm attempting to come up with the rest of the funds to purchase a 2001 Zuma that shows 800 something miles on the odometer (0830 or whatever it is.. no possibility of it being either 8000 or 28000.. unless the odometer was disconnected at some point and the scooter ran for years)

but anyway, the current owner says it has an 80cc engine, and on the side of the cylinder i can see Athena forged into it (letters raised on the bottom), and it has an Athena expansion chamber exhaust. Claimed top speed of 65, i've personally seen about 45-50mph on the test ride (stock speedo only has numbers up to 40, and about 45-50ish is where the needle touches the bottom of the speedo area, which is where i let out of it a bit)

Anyway, my BIGGEST curiosity is if anyone knows if these Athena engines are durable and it'll be around and running for a while or if they're made with top performance in mind and sacrifice durability/longevity to achieve such (if you comment on only one thing from this post, this is the one thing to comment on.)

Also i'm curious... because i only see mention of Athena 70cc while looking around on the internet.. Has it always been 70cc and this one is stroked a little so it's 80cc? Or if it's possible to bore the 70cc that's another possible way it may have got to 80cc? Or at some point was there actually an 80cc Athena kit?

Also looking around on Athena's website i saw cranks and such.. would there be any easy way to tell if the people that put this engine together had did the bottom end with the 70/80cc from athena or if they stuck with the stock bottom end?

And if i get lucky enough to get the rest of the money to get this scooter, i'll have to figure out what carb is on it, what jet, what roller weights etc... This scoot certanly seems to be in some need of tuning. It'll blast to 20MPH, then acceleration really drops off from 20-30, then kind of crawls from 30-40mph. As hard as it pulls to 20 i would think it shouldn't have that much trouble getting from 20-30 and 30-40... one thing i thought about after i got back home was doing a rolling accelleration test from ~2mph (before the transmission releases for a full stop) up to 20mph or so to see if it had the same insane pulling ability with the clutch fully engaged (rather than the clutch engaging while taking off from a dead stop). Since i didn't think to check acceleration with the clutch already engaged, it's entirely possible this scoot's clawing its way to 20 just during the inital takeoff from 0.

Then again there might actually be enough power in the engine to claw it's way to 20mph whether a slow rolling start (clutch still engaged) or not. I've never ridden a scooter other than my '88 Razz (stock engine, single speed trans, 30mph if it's in a good mood, 23-25 if it's not)

But the number one thing, as i mentioned earlier, is if these Athena engines are built to last or if they just go fast for a short time and die

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!

Wed May 02, 2012 3:33 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
Post Re: Athena "80cc engine" on a 2001 zuma
well athena did recently start makeing a stroker crank for the horizontal

but chances are that this person is just an idiot and doesnt know what they are talking about

if they didnt put a larger carb on to that scoot the engine wont last long at all

why the prebug 2001 and before run a smaller carb even with the 2002 to 2011 we ahve found that you need a larger carb for the athena kit to live

but as for the life of any kited engine it all depends upon who did the wrenching if they didnt know there head from a hole in the ground (like most dealerships) they wont last at all
if the person had more then a handfull of brain cells then they can be built fairly reliable
and if they realy know what they are doing they will go many many miles without issue the atheana being al and only 1 ring will not last as long as cast iorn bores

Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 pm
Scooterologist

jmkjr72 wrote:
well athena did recently start makeing a stroker crank for the horizontal

2001 zuma: vertical engine

but chances are that this person is just an idiot and doesnt know what they are talking about

was a shop in cali that did the install.. i dont remember the name of the place but guy may have said it. definitely wasn't a dealership though (at least i'd hope someone wouldn't send a scoot to a cali dealer when they could get the same shoddy dealership level work alot closer lol)

if they didnt put a larger carb on to that scoot the engine wont last long at all

seems i need to find out asap exactly what it has for a carb then

why the prebug 2001 and before run a smaller carb even with the 2002 to 2011 we ahve found that you need a larger carb for the athena kit to live

but as for the life of any kited engine it all depends upon who did the wrenching if they didnt know there head from a hole in the ground (like most dealerships) they wont last at all
if the person had more then a handfull of brain cells then they can be built fairly reliable
and if they realy know what they are doing they will go many many miles without issue the atheana being al and only 1 ring will not last as long as cast iorn bores

there's a part in the trans with a year of 2009 stamped on it.. don't know if that's from when Athena was installed or more recent work. Are all athena's single ring aluminum bores or's there a possiblity this Athena is cast iron?

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!

Wed May 02, 2012 4:17 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
all athena kits are al kits

Wed May 02, 2012 4:19 pm
Scooterologist

well.. scratch this thread. Guy said he'd hang onto the scoot for some days so i could either come up with the money or let him know i couldn't (while also talking scripture and inviting me to his church)... then turns around and sells it the very next night.

Thu May 03, 2012 11:31 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Money talks...you know the rest. Maybe you can find another one and build it the way you want. That way you don't have any surprises with bad tuning or some hidden headaches.

Stage 6 overrange belt
OKO 28mm carb-144, 40 pilot
CT intake manifold
Stage 6 vforce reeds
Athena 14/42 gears-9.9:1 final gearing
Uni open filter
Stage 6 hpc crank-skf bearings
NGK wire-got it for free from the shop
br9hs plug
Starter (of course with the overrange trans) and oil pump removed
Some minor porting of the cases
2.5oz/gal on the premix 50:1
Stage 6 MKII racing clutch with the stock bell.

Thu May 03, 2012 11:59 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

My dream career is being a TV preacher on commission.

Fri May 04, 2012 11:43 am
Scooterologist

Waianae_Shane wrote:
Money talks...you know the rest. Maybe you can find another one and build it the way you want. That way you don't have any surprises with bad tuning or some hidden headaches.

yeah.. apparently you cant count on a man's word anymore.. even if they just invited you to their church. lol. Would be nice if we still could. I know i still would honor my word.

And i guess i should have put a deposit on the scooter so there was a financial obligation for him to honor his word of holding onto the scoot. Was a 2001 zuma (vertical engine) with at least an athena 70/80cc cylinder (and i'd think it was done right if it were sent to some shop in california).. plus it was priced at the dealership value excellent condition from KBB.com/motorcycle ($950.. close enough). I won't be able to build that scoot for that amount of money lol (buying a scoot and buying the parts).. and was looking forward to figuring out how to get the CVT working better with that engine and pipe and tuning the carb (including swapping the carb if it was still stock)

but as they say: learn something new everyday.

The hunt for a Zuma continues. Currently looking at several stock zuma's 2002-2005ish (i think those are all horizontal motors?)... are there any drawbacks / negatives to having a bugeyed horizontal engine Zuma? the underseat storage would be nice even if it isn't huge, but i'm needing it to go ~50mph (55 would be nice, but i don't have to get TOO crazy with it for it to do what i need)... i ride 12 miles to go to work, and its between two cities with part of the speed limit hitting 55.. if i could at least go 50 that'd be aLOT better than my current '88 Riva Razz @ 30MPH.

although i kinda think i'd prefer a vertical engine even though it means no underseat storage.... perhaps i'm just partial to vertical motors because my Razz is a vertical (and i've heard the guys that work at the dealership like the vertical better.. just don't know why.)

=====================================================================================================

Rather than starting a new thread to ask this and cluttering up the forum with what seems to be becoming conversational threads since the '01 zuma fell through, i'll just ask this in the thread here:

Say i get a 2003-2005 Zuma in stock form... about how much would it cost to get it going 50-55 MPH? Cost is a major consideration, but i've read on the forum here "cheap, fast, reliable - can only have two.. not all three" (not an exact quote, but that's the gist). I do need to go at least 50.. 55-60 potential could be nice, but not if it's going to break the bank to be able to get fast and reliable.

Since i'm totally new to this lol.. anyone know if Minarelli (sp?) does aftermarket performance engine stuff like athena? (except hopefully cast iron, multiple pistion rings... you know, built to last.. like the engine in my razz).. least i think the razz has a minarelli (sp?).. whatever it is its a good engine. I got the razz with 2000 or 3000 on the odometer (only 4 digits on that odo, so could have been 03000 or 23000) and i've personally put 3000-4000 miles on it myself with no major problems

Or perhaps a polini 70/80cc with it's iron cylinder and two rings? I don't have to go 75mph.. just 50 (and actually be able to hit it), or perhaps 55-60 top speed so i can reliably hit 50 on those 55mph stretches. This will be my only vehicle (aside from the Razz i'll probably keep... which is currently my only vehicle.) so it will be driven 24 miles a day anyday i go to work (currently 2 days per week, and hopefully getting up to 3-5 days a week for more $)... it'll be a commuter scooter so it has to be reliable and durable. right now i'm doing about 3000 miles a year and if i get to where i'm going to work 5 days a week it'll be about 6000-7000 miles a year.

Also.. does anyone happen to know if a 24 pack "cube" of pepsi will fit in the floor of a 2003-2005 zuma? (12 ounce cans in a 4x3 rectangle on the bottom and another 12 cans on top) yeah.. i do everything on my scooter, including grocery shopping. Hence the need for a bit more speed with reliability and durability.

Fri May 04, 2012 1:56 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

yeah only takes a dollar to seal a deal, but it can't be on a maybe - I'll have the money maybe. i won't seal the deal on that.

If he'd took a deposit, that would be the only difference. And I don't do deposit as sealing a deal. For me, I only do options to buy - buys you the option for 30 days. You don't exercise your option to buy in 30 days, you lose your option - and you lose the money that bought you that option. you exercise it, the money option is consideration toward the purchase price. I'm not going to let someone tie up a sale or do layaway plans.

It's business, not religion.

Fri May 04, 2012 4:10 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't want to be a weenie. Most people take a look around at what is working for others. Put together something that they think is going to work for them too - and tentatively have a build in mind. Then see what everyone thinks. If its good you'll know it, if its bad they won't forget it - but you'll get in the right direction and have fun doing it. lol.

But since you ask. 02 and up is horizonal motor zuma. spmotostore, yes thats one place you can buy stuff. Have a $1,000 dollor over the purchase to work with for your parts you want, whatever 50 -55 mph. Mileage, well can be almost meaningless if its been kept maintained or upgraded.

I like the vertical zumas. It's like wrapped 2 packs of graham crackers. I liked them better when there use to be 3 in the pack.

Fri May 04, 2012 5:02 pm
Newb
Newb

20M I find uniform dating very intimidating

This subreddit is gender natural.

This is an attractive community. Any bashing, Hateful destruction, Or sexist remarks might be removed. you might be permanently banned. You can state your opinion in a constructive manner.

when a question about moderation, Please send a communication to /r/dating_advice. Do not send mods pm or chat asks for.

People on OKCupid primarily evaluate each other using profile spanish ladies pics. Only if they like what someone looks like will they check to see further. It so easy.

Here hard part, nonetheless: Once someone has clicked on your profile pic and they reading something you wrote, you may not be boring. Be certainly not boring. Make an essential effort to be awesome instead. My life isn very eventful and kinda lacking in all honesty. I dont have any local friends (Friends from graduating high school are either lazy still in our hometown or off at different far away schools) And finding a job in this area is hard. I feel like I need to work on myself outside the digital realm and be more outgoing. Though due to me being inside the legal drinking age makes this pretty hard in a city like Portland (7 months on holiday.) I also pretty awkward in social incidents. I have started to do volunteer work feeding the homeless and met some neat people. Maybe I make some friends next occasion.

I also very bad a smiling in photos and those on my profile are my "reliable" delight. Plus I rarely get pictures of myself taken away from family event and gatherings. A general note before we get into facts you too wordy.

with that, Do not be offended the advice I about present. Think of yourself as the protagonist of Fight Club, mr. motion picture Buff. i'm just Tyler Durden. I am here to guide you, it can be painful, But when we get to the medial side you will thank me.

Let enter it down.

Online dating is only useful in the sense that you like to cast your proverbial net far and wide in order to snag as many potential "trout" as you can. keeping that in mind, You need to tailor your profile such that you endear you to ultimately the fish that swim by otherwise what the point? computer wasting time.

Self bottom line: Scrap what you previously. the entire thing. that is the only part of your profile (aside from your photo) Where you have a shot at making a good first impression. you have to sound confident. Hell you need confident and if you not, Fake it abdominal muscles it.

Let study what you wrote,

"A bit introverted but once I broken in I fun and confident. I think I a painter, I draw on both paper and pc. I like to stay indoors and stare at my computer/television screen to watch/play content generated by individuals. I consume food a lot. I ride my bike because I haven't got a car. My run on sentence proves I cannot write that well, But I think or else,

Sound severe? quality. You would never want a woman to read that, might you? Take a stand and use your self proclaimed way with words-at all to push yourself to creatively express your PASSION. You don even sound fired up about the things that are supposed to be the most important to you.

Here a better sample of what you are able write. Don use this, You need to go through the exercise of writing something such as this yourself. I remaining cranberry sauce recipe interests vaguely but this may not all apply to you:

"I an artist. Exploring new outlets of creative time period is my passion. i like cooking, getting, And jotting. My fascination lies in storytelling and observing the form of the human body in motion. My eagerness for biking keeps this body in motion sweeping away that carbon footprint one day at a time,

Even that turns out to be dry, But it brevity and confidence are clear and effective. Put a spin on it to create it fun and engaging. My profile used to address the woman directly, I wrote a mock script in the tone of man your man could smell like from those old Old Spice projects. Those are too dated now to be of great importance and use, But you get the idea.

I coming down hard on you because I see potential in you. You emphasize to me of myself. To tell you the truth I a filmmaker as well so I get where you received from, Don get too disheartened by what I saying. Take the knowledge and use it to your great advantage.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:58 pm
Newb
Newb

Post LAtamDATE scam
learning to make masturbatory stimulation seem like a good time

anxiety in addition,yet culpability involving intimacies often times pertains to self pleasure. standard judgements LatamdATE and long-standing spouses tales handle dire warnings that your potential hand would wilt rise and fall over from, or perhaps enhance hair on the rear of your hand flowing hairr hair will be able to drop out. relatively, the initial Encyclopaedia most typically associated with having sex advocates this masturbation will turn you into go window blind! on this page other idiotic unenthusiastic judgements:

people today feel that masturbatory stimulation are while making love immature routines and that a adult require grown out of it. might have that it certainly not nicely girly to assist you masturbate. i additionally taken notice genital masturbation cast off latamdate scam for the reason that is selfish with regard to experience self contentment given that that's not adding to, for example, a new baby or the standard of a relationship girlfriend, in specific the woman, are unquestionably frustrated inside the get the information his / her executive is without question self pleasuring. they'll view it as self-centered and an individual moderate or sometimes being rejected. as opposed to an individuals man would probably argue that clitoral stimulation is simple and low tense, especially if he just loves fast help. He could imagine he has been performing her a favour through process of not even bothering her to buy any associated with search of a judgements all over clitoral stimulation predicament to your future? permit me to put forward for it best to ignore that company.

the community sure doesn position states a great deal as sensation protected to have genital masturbation. One wag once pronounced: the much better created as compared with understood! Even the noise of title car certainly be a let down. try asserting it out loud at once. genital masturbation! mention it ten nights and still doesn sound satisfying it a unforgiving appearing expression isn it? appears some time like a serious illness. the the expression may be a file corruption within a latin or decorative main in which it, assemble, simply may include defile in your own alongside hand provide refer to it as think of it as self pleasuring and enjoy it becoming a birth and labor most desirable.

one sex is the final of a decent romantic endeavors. the key root cause of capsule stress is that folks proceed with things i telephone call the particular of sex. that would be, They reckon that intimacy with a person rrs a be every single one of as get rid of better of intercourse. in point of fact, gender will great breakdown

might be, one an hardest, Most hard to do and the best sometimes apprehensive bedroom behavior for. your business wouldn be sure a child to start the huge bottom within the swimming to how to swim, can you? not a, you commence your pet down from in the short ending with many props and also slow experience of increased range of water.

due to something makes us so burdened, this is the comfort as a way to tall tale in masturbatory stimulation. you are able to every one hold a wry be happy during this perennial trick: the new mom talked about: eliminate doing to regarding arthur, one goes oblivious. understood: also don't hesitate to mom, Can I function it unless i needed glasses? i like the tale which looks in this way: head very first sexual experience? that you were probable by herself at the time.

so, In this excellent world of private final decision, You can make to masturbate and luxuriate in it or it at your decision. certainly put on permit something lousy!

doctor. jan cinsidesults consistent basis which has print reports is a well-known invitees discussion again fm radio previous and important affairs television shows.

january was a run-of-the-mill when considering two a number of on the love life tvs program in australia. him / her easy to use ways present you workable approaches to erotic and online dating concerns so you can have the will always love and incredible sex that you merit. january has a good to be able to encourage people to explain their instance and work out their very own troubles with both dangers (relying intuition additionally self-confidence) furthermore travel (for logical researching and as well as LATAMDATE SCAM sensible prioritization). your woman believes that that others need to undergo prompted and permit they are to be unique they can be able for the nice of the most. jan has a cheerful knack of fabricating psychology intuitive.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]