View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 8:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 My Zuma is back on the road again 
Scooter Addict

scooters and mods: 2009 125
Post My Zuma is back on the road again
This is my second Zuma 125 and unfortunately my second engine in this scooter. I bought this scooter earlier this year (2018) with about 13,000 miles and upon purchase everything looked and sounded ok (new engine purrs in comparison). I put a few thousand miles on the scooter and started to notice metal bits in the oil, serious rust in the PCV breather and all the valves were completely shut indicating they had never been adjusted. After running the bike this way, things continued to worsen for the scooter. I began finding more metal in the oil (Although none ever was caught in the strainer) and the bike began to leak oil critically from the crankshaft seal. This was a big issue because the oil would seep into the CVT belt causing it to slip which made some hairy city starts.

On my yellow Zuma I had installed the RC 155cc Big bore kit so I was familiar with the zuma engine and I figured a complete tear down was in order unknowing what I would find and how much $$ the repairs would run (Plus I wanted to do the BBK again). I determined this may not be cost effective and listed the bike for sale locally. I received all kinds of horrible low ball offers and gave up for a month while race prepping my big motorcycle. As luck would have it, I found a cheap long block on ebay and was able to pick it up locally. The install was very straightforward and everything looked perfect. I adjusted the valves as the engine was said to have around 500 miles. Anyhow the install went great and Its awesome having my commuter scooter back on the road keeping miles off my truck.

Lets hope round 3 is the ticket to another 16,000miles. Learn from my mistake and thoroughly inspect the scooter before buying!

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:18 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2009 Yellow Zuma 125, RC Scooters 168cc Stroker BBK
Post Re: My Zuma is back on the road again
Congrats on getting the Zuma 125 back on the road... I know how much it sucks to be in that situation. I'm on my 5th engine build; most of my issues were either bad luck and installing bad parts or just learning the hard way on what not to do. My scoot is also my daily commuter vehicle.

When buying a used vehicle, it's always a good idea to do a compression test and a leak down check at a minimum. Also, checking the oil and valve gaps to be within spec can indicate if it was properly maintained.

How-To: Fix All LED TurnSignal Flashing & NonFlashing Issues
How-To: BWS Asian HID Projector Headlight Retrofit
Taida King Cam (New In Box) For Sale: $90 Shipped
KillerScooter/BTX Foot Pegs/Bar (Scuff Marks & Slightly Bent Mounting Tabs, it Still Works Great!) For Sale: $50 Shipped
PM me for Pics...

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:32 pm
Scooter Addict

scooters and mods: 2009 125
Post Re: My Zuma is back on the road again
JohnnyFYX wrote:
Congrats on getting the Zuma 125 back on the road... I know how much it sucks to be in that situation. I'm on my 5th engine build; most of my issues were either bad luck and installing bad parts or just learning the hard way on what not to do. My scoot is also my daily commuter vehicle.

When buying a used vehicle, it's always a good idea to do a compression test and a leak down check at a minimum. Also, checking the oil and valve gaps to be within spec can indicate if it was properly maintained.

Good points. It really goes to show that you never really know what you're buying until you tear into it. The bloke I bought it from probably wouldn't have been too happy with me trying to check the valve clearances in his garage. Although he was a KTM mechanic and rider, maybe he knew the end was near for the scooter.

I only do 10 miles or so a day on mine but these lovaly so cal "winters" sure make it easy to ride year round.

Engine seems to be loosening up some as i hit a speedo indicated 60 this past weekend.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]