View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Zuma 2008 50cc small problem 
Newb
Newb

Post Zuma 2008 50cc small problem
I'm pretty sure this is only a carb problem, but I'm a bit of a newb so I want to make sure what it is before I go hacking at it.
The scooter runs fine at idle, low, and high speeds. It starts fine warm. But it doesn't start at cold. To start it I would block the airflow of the carb while starting it and it works almost instantly. Any solutions or theories? Thanks!

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:46 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos derestricted variator and exhaust upjetted carb 2004 Zuma Dual Headlight Mod Malossi Wild Lion Exhaust
Post Re: Zuma 2008 50cc small problem
Assuming you are working on stock carb
Are you are reaching through the spark plug access hole and plugging the snorkle .
If that is the case your auto choke maybe stuck .
You will need to take the carb off a clean hose to blow into to see if choke will open .

On the forums here we have copies of the service manuals to reference .
http://www.zumaforums.net/downloads.html

If it is a manual choke from aftermarket carb it may just need a cleaning.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:37 pm
Newb
Newb

So actually it seems to be running instantly now without having to block the snorkel, but it is very weak on startup. I can confirm that the choke is working. I kind of have to electric start and then quickly throttle to stabilize it.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos derestricted variator and exhaust upjetted carb 2004 Zuma Dual Headlight Mod Malossi Wild Lion Exhaust
A Carb clean up would work wonders.
You most likely need to clean the pilot jet they plug pretty easy.
Piano wire or a guitar string and carb cleaner is what you will need to clean out the jets .
You can order new jets from your local yamaha dealer they are around 5 buck a piece .
What upgrades do you have now if any and do you have any planned for future .
pipes and bbks like bigger main jets and might need the next size up pilot jet .

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]