View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 2005 Bugeye Zuma 
Newb
Newb

Post 2005 Bugeye Zuma
So I bought a totally stock 05 Zuma for my daughter that wasn’t running to teach her how to turn a wrench as the kids now days only know computers and phones. It had been sitting up for about two years and needed the carb cleaned and a battery. I bought new Yamaha jets, replaced the oil lines and fired her up. The only issue I have is that after it’s been sitting for more than an hour or so and it’s cooled off it’s hard to keep it running when initially started. We start it and it will spit and sputter and sometimes die for a minute or more. I will keep working the throttle and will finally get it to clear up. Once that’s done it runs fine. I was wondering if the oil line check valve could be stuck. It runs great and tops out at about 38-40 mp and Idles fine once it’s stops sputtering. It smokes more than I remember my old Zuma smoking but I ordered some maxima smokeless oil and will be draining the Yamaha stuff out ASAP. Any help on the sputter would be appreciated. Please forgive me if this isn’t in the right place but I didn’t see anything in the bugeye section.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:00 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos derestricted variator and exhaust upjetted carb 2004 Zuma Dual Headlight Mod Malossi Wild Lion Exhaust
Post Re: 2005 Bugeye Zuma
I have a 2004 zuma and a 2005 eton beamer that both have carbs
It sounds like what I had to go through with the beamer same minnarelli engine similar carb .
The beamer has a manual choke so that was easy to fix that . Just had to clean the choke reste the idle speed and mixture .
The zuma does not have a manual choke it has a enricher .
1)On the zuma your enricher my be stuck so it is not adding extra fuel when it is cold .
The service manual on the forum will show you how to check that
here is the link
http://www.zumaforums.net/downloads.html

Try that first and see if that works
Your next step is dialing in the carb mixture and idle speed .
If the oil check valve was stuck your engine would Have already blown.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:07 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks for the reply and I will check the auto enricher. As far as the check valve
Goes, I was wondering if it could have been stuck open and letting residual oil drain into the carb throat after shut down. Thinking now, if it were to get stuck it probably wouldn’t be in the open position unless there was debris holding it open.
Thanks again and I will let y’all know what I find.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 am
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos derestricted variator and exhaust upjetted carb 2004 Zuma Dual Headlight Mod Malossi Wild Lion Exhaust
Mine only really smokes at start up or when my carb is really rich.
Better oil and or a better tune on the carb probably cleans that right up .

38-40 mph is very good for a stock 2005 which to me means overall tune on your scoot transmission and engine is close to maxed out.

Last edited by zino18 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 am
Scooterologist

So we can help you add to your signature line what you own 2005 zuma and any mods over stock.
I am doing the same as you I am teaching my son how to build up modify exhaust carbs cylinder and CVT on the 4 scooters we own.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:27 am
Newb
Newb

zino18 wrote:
So we can help you add to your signature line what you own 2005 zuma and any mods over stock.
I am doing the same as you I am teaching my son how to build up modify exhaust carbs cylinder and CVT on the 4 scooters we own.

Added my signature! Kids need to know how to do other kind of stuff than just sit inside and play on the phone or game console.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]