View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Puzzled!? 
Newb
Newb

Post Puzzled!?
Hello all. Been lurking a while and learning a lot about my new to me 2008 Zuma 50. Unfortunately I am currently stumped. When I bought the scoot it needed some tlc but ran great. The ride home the speedo was reading 40mph. Once I got home I started working on it. Here is what I did. New battery, new spark plug (stock plug same as one I removed). New rear brakes and rear tire. I removed the oil tank and fixed the leak then reinstalled. I drained and refilled the oil using what was recommended in the manual. I continued by removing the air filter, cleaning it and re oiled it. I then put it all back together and it started right up! My problem is that it only goes 30mph now. What the heck. I noticed I had to increase the idle once done or scoot would stall. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been searching for hours to no avail.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:33 pm
Scooter Addict

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos 2004 Zuma
Post Re: Puzzled!?
How does it sound ?
How does it respond to throttle ?
Does it hesitate /stumble ?
Is there less powerful take off or does it take off as fast as before just wind out and you dont go any faster ?

BBKs all around on the way

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:09 pm
Newb
Newb

1st, thank you for the reply. To answer your questions. It sounds perfectly normal, starts no problem, seems to respond to throttle ok. I do notice that when sitting on the kickstand and I stab the throttle it takes it a bit of time to return back to normal idle. Seems to hang at high revs for longer than normal. It does not hesitate/stumble. Take offs seem normal it just winds out early and stays at 30mph. Almost like it restricted. I was thinking that because I removed the muffler to take off wheel that I may not have got it seated correctly when I put it back on? I also heard something loose in the muffler when I was putting it back on. Like a piece inside may have broke off. I wonder if this may be causing a restriction?

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:37 am
Scooter Addict

Idle hangs and takes a while to to return to normal and you had to raise the idle speed after your changes suggest you are going lean.

Lets check for a exhaust leak and back pressure
2 strokes need back pressure for performance and be leak free for a long life
Take a gloved hand and a rag with the scoot running plug the exhaust with the rag
If your exhaust is sealed up right it should kill almost immediately if it keeps running your exhaust is not seated right.
Did you use a new gasket every time you took off the exhaust .
You can also you use permatex copper on the gasket also .

Manually choke the air box snorkel
Just plug it with one then 2 fingers and see if it improves as you rev the throttle and see if idle drops back to normal

What does the plug look like that you just put in ?
How about the old one ?
What color are Cracker jack brown ,Dark Chocolate or drywall grey or what is it between

You should still do a proper plug chop after these chna

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:53 am
Newb
Newb

Thanks Zino! I will check all of this later today and post back tonight. The old plug was pretty dark black with some deposits on it. The new plug looks ok so far but I have only gone a mile on it.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:52 am
Newb
Newb

I had a few minutes so I started the scoot and plugged the exhaust. It died almost immediately. Hmm. I will check the other things later.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:46 am
Scooter Addict

Ok so the exhaust is sealed up good .

How many miles are on scoot ?
What weight and type of oil did you use on filter and transmission?
Less than a dixie cup is all you need for oil in the trans alot of people overfill there first time.
How many ml did you put in?
Is the air box on right with a good seal ?

As far as plug the old one is on the dark side which is where would want to be in general.
As far as new plug we dont want gray .
This is just a quick check not something i would use for overall health .

You should still plug chop and to check the different throttle position main 1/2 throttle and idle.

Transmission check
Have you taken a look at the variator to see if the belt is getting to the top when you are running at top speed
Use a sharpie to make a line to make a 1 inch wide line from the bottom to the top of the variator .
Run it down the road full throttle you should have almost no line couple of mm left at the lip of the variator
Is the belt in spec ?

post pictures if you can

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:28 pm
Newb
Newb

7400 miles on scoot. The oil i used for the air filter is normal 2 stroke oil and the oil for the transmission is 85w-140. I only put in what the manual said which is about a quarter cup. Pretty thick stuff but the same consistency as what i removed. I have not checked the belt yet. IT ran great a week ago, I fixed it all up and now this. Hmm. Weird. Today I took off the exhaust again and even sealed it with rtv. When I put my finger over the exhaust it still kills it right away. I also rechecked the air filter and made sure I had it fully connected to the carb. Going down the road today I only got 32mph and I weigh 145. I will keep playing with it and hopefully check the best tomorrow.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:40 pm
Newb
Newb

I would really like to post some pics but my file size is too large and my mac will not cooperate in trying to reduce the size. I took the cover off to look at the belt and it all looks really good. I am not sure where you want me to mark with a sharpie? If I look at where the belt sits on the variator I can see a smooth shiny part and a small ring of dark towards the front of the variator. I had a pic but it will not let me post it.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:32 pm
Scooter Addict

Ok exhaust is sealed right even better now .

If that is a 2008 zuma exhaust the catalitic converter exhaust may be plugged a little that is what you might have heard rattling around.
Next step is decarbonizing the exhaust it is a messy job so we will save that till you have checked the variator.
My opinion those pipes should just be thrown in the junk and grab any non cat pipe as a upgrade.

That is the right oils to use and the right amounts .
So that checks out
When checking belts it needs to be over 6/10 inch no less which is 15.5 mm .

Variator tuning
when you say small ring measure it post the measurements in mm
That shiny part you see you see is what we would mark
After you do the sharpie test post results again of how big the mark is
If the new mark is bigger than the ground in mark from before we might have at least a partial solution on horizon.
It is kind of like a 10 speed bike never being able to shift into the top 5 gears you would pedal to hard to get any speed .

Here is a video from scooter turd shop a good vendor by the way that explains how to mark it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNo882DK89g
Just do the basics to see how much travel you are getting before tearing your variator apart and switching rollers .

I am trying to cover the major bases that hold speed back and give a once over.
I am trying to have you avoid buying uneeded parts

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:21 pm
Scooter Addict

when you have the variator cover off check the fora free spinning wheel
turn the clutch bell your tire should spin easily on stand .
2 things were checking for that the clutch or new brakes are not binding

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:17 pm
Newb
Newb

I will try and mark the variator tonight and see what happens. It supposed to rain all day so we will see how much of a full speed run I will be able to do. Could a plugged cat cause lower top end? I also just noticed that when cold it does not like to start using the kick start. IF I use the electric start it fires up. This was not the case before I started all of this. I guess I should have left it in poor shape since it ran better lol. At least it looks good now and is safe. I will also try and measure the belt tonight to see what I get. Thanks for taking the time to help me! I really do appreciate it.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:38 am
Scooter Addict

plugged exhaust is a choking the engine .
So yes some scooters are restriced from the factory with by choking the exhaust with a washer on the pipe.
The zuma is not restricted this way.
But it can get carboned up .
KNow anybody with a pipe you can swap with for a test .

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:41 am
Newb
Newb

Im the only person I know with a scooter let alone a zuma. Swapping pipes is not possible. Is it worth it to pull the carb and clean it? I would hate to cause more damage. I have cleaned many small engine and jet ski carbs so I feel pretty confident.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:28 am
Newb
Newb

By the way, if I need a new belt should I just go with oem or are the Athenas any good? I will probably stay away from kevlar.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next