View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The 2004 Zuma Journey 
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2004 Yamaha Zuma
Post The 2004 Zuma Journey
Howdy Zuma Community-

I recently purchased a 2004 Yamaha Zuma with 6k miles, and it's been so much fun! This little guy starts up quick with the slightest touch and can really get going- I reach 40mph with no issues and keep up with traffic to my surprise (haven't tried higher speeds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). I bought the scooter from it's original owner, who I can spent time working on the bike over the years. After I let him know I didn't know ANYTHING about scooters but hyped to learn and work on it, he gave me a box of brand new Zuma parts.

I don’t even know where to start??

Here's a majority of the parts I have:
    Airsal cylinder
    Second unknown cylinder
    Polini clutch torque springs
    Assortment of ring gaskets (different colors if it matters)
    NCY racing clutch
    Athena weights
    Piston kit
    Loads of extra small unopened screws, rings, and pieces I can't describe

I have no clue whats installed currently- expect its fast... and the scooter wants to go FAST. What’s some basic things to keep in mind to maintain an older bike and keep this spunk and power in my new friend?

(forgive my lack of knowledge)

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:32 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos 2004 Zuma
Post Re: The 2004 Zuma Journey
Welcome to the forums .
Enjoy your zuma .
The stock 2004 just touch 40 mph so if you are puling wheelies or burying the needle past 40 you already have some upgrades.
If you want to take pictures of what your pipe carb and cylinder look like we could tell you more .
They are very fun to build up .
These are easy to maintain being a 2 stroke You have less moving parts in the engine.

The number 1 thing you need to keep track of is what your spark plug looks like It will tell you if your engine is healthy.
With the proper jetting .

Here is the service manual
http://www.zumaforums.net/servicemanual ... Manual.pdf

Checking belts ,changing oil ,brakes ,tires ,roller weights ,cleaning and oiling the air filter all easy stuff.

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe derestricted stock variator stock carb 72 mikuni main one clip rich
45 mph still breaking in Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 82 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:18 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Are those cylinder kits or just the cylinder .
They need to me matched up with a piston that fits the kits so that the ports on the pistons match up to the ports on the cylinder.
The ncy clutch, polini springs and athena weights are plug and play and can be added with other parts .
The springs and weights are for adjustment .

Enjoy what you have so you get used to how it accelerates handles and top speed.
Then look at upgrading one area at a time so you can feel the change and if you dont like it you can change back.

Rookie mistake is change too many things at once and then it runs poorly and you cant figure out what parts are installed wrong.

You have some good stuff there.

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe derestricted stock variator stock carb 72 mikuni main one clip rich
45 mph still breaking in Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 82 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:28 am
Newb
Newb

Thanks zino-

I’ve been going through the service manual and it’s really helpful.

I’ll be back here to get help with the performance build up of my scooter- still trying to even get a picture of the inside because the last few days I’ve been buying different tools to discover I need another tool to get anything fully off....

I met the owner of a local scooter shop, I stop in every few days, he’s been chill about helping me understand spark plugs, 2-stroke oils, and basic maintenance. Overall the scooter community is rad.

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:04 pm
Newb
Newb

The two cylinders are kits; complete with their own pistons, pins, and all that jazz.
While the second cylinder I didn’t know is actually an Athena.

The separate/spare piston kit is just Yamaha.
And “different” colored gaskets I wasn’t sure about are actually just copper. derp

I found some aftermarket turn signals in my box I thinking of starting there perhaps.

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:32 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The athena kit comes with a ton of gaskets and is a great cylinder up grade is it noticeably larger than the stock yamaha ones .
Take alook at your current set up and see if where your exhaust hooks up if it is a grey aluminum cylinder the exhaust hooks into or cast iron.
Make a run at top speed if you are hitting 45 or burying the needle you are beyond stock with a few pieces .

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]