View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 MHR Over Range Variator Fitment 
Newb
Newb

Post MHR Over Range Variator Fitment
Hello,

So I purchased https://scooterpartsco.com/malossi/01-malossi-master-part-list/malossi-mhr-racing-variator-for-yamaha-minarelli?zenid=db04d6044aa6d03a289401135e9cce15 a while back and I finally got it installed on my 2004 Yamaha Zuma 2T before the winter. One issue I have is with the length of the rear axel. The new rear variator and clutch are a bit too tall, and the clutch bell rubs on the clutch. I sort of solved the problem by adding some washers between the bottom of the clutch bell and the bearing on the clutch, however the nut falls off after about an hour or so of riding. Has anyone had a similar issue with installation, and how did you fix it? I know the washers are a poor solution, but I don't know what else to do at the moment.

a_scerba

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:41 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos 2004 Zuma
Post Re: MHR Over Range Variator Fitment
Can you take some pictures ?
So I can see what your talikng about
Can you put your stock bell on ?
Wahers or shims may be needed in either the clutch or the variator.
Nut falling off after riding these should be torqued to 30lbs they shouldn't come off .

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe derestricted stock variator stock carb 72 mikuni main one clip rich
45 mph still breaking in Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 82 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:20 pm
Newb
Newb

zino18 wrote:
Can you take some pictures ?
So I can see what your talikng about
Can you put your stock bell on ?

Here is a link to a Google Photo album with pictures and a video of the rubbing. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5KGT4BuyuU5umM7D9

From left to right: New bell and new clutch+rear variator (w/nylon spacer), old bell and new clutch+rear variator (w/nylon spacer), old bell and old clutch+rear variator (no spacer needed), new bell and old clutch+rear variator (no spacer needed), picture of nylon spacer (cracked after use), next two are context for where spacer is put in clutch, attempt to show height difference (left old and right new; hard to tell on camera), video demonstrating the need for spacer to eliminate rubbing.

I'm thinking I might need to mill a metal spacer that is exactly the right size for the bearing so it doesn't rub on the bearing cover. I believe that is the reason it cracked and loosened.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:26 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Is your torque driver rubbing on the gear case ?
Something has your whole rear pulley protuding too far
On your video both your stock clutch and overrange the nut is not far enough down on the cranksaft ,my crankshaft protudes a few threads on my malossi cluctch ,polini clutch and stock clutch.
That is why it is spinning off .
The crush ring off a spark plug also works as a spacer .

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe derestricted stock variator stock carb 72 mikuni main one clip rich
45 mph still breaking in Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 82 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 pm
Newb
Newb

The new variator + clutch is taller. In the videos I kept the same variator and clutch but changed the clutch bell. Comparing the second and third photo shows the difference in protrusion between the new and old variator + clutch with the old bell. There are a few threads showing when I put the nut on the old setup, which is like you said the way it should be. On the new one, it fits like in the video. I measured them a while ago, and the new one it noticeably taller than the old one. This in combination with the spacer needed to eliminate the rubbing makes it stick out the way it does. If I can eliminate the rubbing of the clutch bell on the clutch, then that would increase the surface area the nut has to attach to.

I tried a crush ring before the nylon one, but it wasn't tall enough. I used multiple of them, but had the same spinning off issue.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:30 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I have not fitted the full overrange myself but others have had to grind there case so it sits better.

Would the old clutch fit without shimming with new overrange torque drivers and have the nut on right ?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm
Newb
Newb

I'm not sure, I was having trouble pulling the old assembly apart last time I was looking at it. I think it would. That could be a short term solution if I can get it apart.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 pm
Newb
Newb

I had this happen, I had to use shims between the clutch and bell like you said and had the nut come off once while out riding. A quick fix to get me home I stuck a lock/split washer between the nut and clutch bell. Finished tightening it when I got home and it's still got the lock washer. There's not much bolt sticking out the nut but it's held just fine

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 am
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 1998 Zuma Prebug
What are you using to tighten it. I use an impact wrench and torque to 55Nm. Also why dont you try adding a bit of blue loctite and see if that helps.

Btw between the bell and the nut should be a metal washer. Try getting a metal washer.

-Stock variator (6g rollers -> 8mm sharpie test)
-17.5mm Dellorto Carb (84MJ, clip in middle position)

Current max speed ~67kmh (GPS verified)

Build Project: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=28663

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]